Sunday 27 September 2015

Trip Down The Memory Lane

It is a pleasure to come back to the city where you were born. For me it is Delhi. I was born here and spent a few years of my magical childhood here in the capital before we moved to Bangalore. I have been there ever since. It was my job that brought me back to Delhi after years. Strangely enough I didn’t feel alienated in the city given the sharp contrast in the culture of Bangalore and Delhi.

I put up in South Delhi very close to where I used to live during my childhood days. One fine day I went to explore down the memory lane and tried to identify the places with a few pictures that I had with me. Clearly, the house where we used to live had given its way to a four storied building and nothing was left of it. Somewhere I felt a bit bruised. Nevertheless, I went to a complex where I often used to visit with my parents and was surprised to see the place still existed only changed to a whole new level. It had one of the most popular movie theatres in Saket and numerous other food joints and cafes! I tried to find my childhood but I failed again. Change proved to be inevitable once again!

Almost tired, I gave up the idea to find those days which now only existed faintly in my memory and in a few photographs. I visited a few places to shop in Delhi and amazingly, I located a toy store which I distinctly remember to visit when we used to stay here! It was a euphoric moment for me as I entered and I remembered the ‘uncle’, now sufficiently old not to remember me. I smiled at him, bought a small token of memory form that place and left. It was my happiest day in Delhi. Some emotions do not have any explanations!

No comments:

Post a Comment